Monday, June 8, 2009

Orientation

I haven't posted in a while, mostly because I've been too busy. I am working 36 a week, recovering about the same amount and that hasn't left me with a whole lot of extra time on my hands. It has, though, been paying my mortgage and food and electric bills.

I don't go to yoga anymore. I miss it a whole bunch, but it just seems like I'm thinking of it at all the wrong times, or I'm sleeping in or at work or trying to catch up on sleep, or something. Yeah, I know it's more excuses than anything else. I just need to make myself go and be done with it.

I have a couple of home births to attend (if I'm not at work) and I really, really, really want to do them. It's SO nice to see people give birth without all the drugs and manipulation that we do in the hospital. I used to feel okay about all that, but it's starting to get on my nerves. I'm almost ready to just stay in the OR all the time and not do the vag births at all. But I don't have that option. I have to be wherever and do whatever I'm told.

I kind of liked to postpartum floor. I can do that work pretty easily. Still, it's all work. Some days are definitely better than others. I'm hoping that this week I will have a couple of good nights.

I've also gone on the website at work and found the Western Governor University website. This is the first online university that was accredited. It was started by 13 Western state Governors who wanted to provide certain degree programs for students off campus. It is a nonprofit school and doesn't have any traditional classrooms, but works through online stuff and mentors. I'm not sure how it all works out, but I'm talking to them this week. My company is one of the private businesses that supports the school. I think there are 35 companies that are backers of the school. Anyway, I figure that if my work wants to pay the tuition, I can take classes towards a Master's degree in nursing. Not sure what I want with that, but I have to work for two years and I'm not ready to do midwifery school yet (or ever? I don't know). I like the education setting and would consider working in an environment that would allow me to teach nursing, I think. I'm not sure, but I'm looking into it.

The midwifery schools are VERY expensive. Like $50,000 a year. I'm not into that. In any event, I know that I must keep working very hard to be good at what I do, so I keep doing all that I can to be successful. I do feel like I'm missing something, all the time. Like there is something else that I was suppose to be doing, but I forgot. I'm trying to be organized, but it is very hard when the schedule changes all the time. After this next schedule, I'm going to try and see if I can put myself on a schedule that stays the same....Maybe Friday nights and Monday/Tuesday days? That might work. I really don't know yet. It's just to weird.

I am looking forward to taking that week off in Mass. Not sure what we are going to do while there, but just not having to be up at 5:15 AM or working all night will be nice. :-)

No comments: