Saturday, January 24, 2009

Last days before starting the job

Today I ran out to GMU to pick up an official copy of my transcript so I could give it to the employer. I want to qualify for the scholarship reimbursement, and that was one of the criteria. Then there was that whole matter of not finding my social security card. Did you know that you can only have 10 replacement cards in a lifetime? I mean, what then??? A new number?? "Sorry, you're outta luck?"

The whole experience of going to the SS office was unreal. First, it was hard to locate. Then I went in the door behind someone with a baby. Okay, GET THE SS# WITH THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE!!! Why make a separate trip out of this? It's on the birth certificate form, just check "YES" where it asked you to and be done with it. Then an African American guard (with GUN) tells them to move to chairs "You can't stand there. Find a seat." Okay, already.

I pushed the button to get a number, found the form, found a seat, sat, and then filled out the form. Then I waited. At one point there was no one at any of the window. That was fun. I needed to be somewhere else in an hour, so I sat and waited and observed the people in the waiting area. There were several older, retired types. The people in front of me were covered head to toe (women) obviously Muslims. Then there was the big guy with the little baby. The Chinese man helping his mother. The loud white guy who was probably a little mentally retarded. A couple of teenager type. The vast majority were not white, middle class, women. So I felt a bit outta place!

My time was running up and the number was still about 14 from my number. Several times they called out numbers and no one got up. So they moved on to the next number. I finally realized that I was not going to be called before I needed to leave, yet this was the last day I could get this paper before Monday, so when the next number was called and no one else go up, I did. I went to the window and handed the women my form and id. She asked for my number and I mumbled that I didn't know where I put it. She didn't ask again and I didn't elaborate. This probably makes me a bad person, but I was thinking about the guy who was on the roof top during the flood praying for God to send someone to save him. Another guy comes by in a boat and asked if he wants a lift, and he declines. Then a helicopter comes by and tries to offer help, but the roof sitter waves him off. Finally the man drowns and gets to Heaven and he asked God, "Why didn't you save me?" And God says, "I sent a boat and a helicopter, why didn't you take the ride?"

I actually thought of that as I was meditating on how I would get out of that place and still meet my deadline. There were about three opportunities to take other numbers, so when I saw my chance, I grabbed it. Actually, if felt pretty good. And I only spent about 4 minutes with the woman, so hopefully I didn't hold other up too much. I figure when they got to my number, they just skipped pass and went on to the next person. So someone might have actually been grateful by that time. Who knows?

Now I have a form that says I have a social security card and what the number is, and that my card is being processes and will be mailed shortly, in less than two weeks. Hopefully that will satisfy any employer obligations to verify enjoyability in the U.S.? I do have my VA driver's license, VA RN license and my original birth certificate from the hospital (not the state copy of it). Maybe that will do? If not, I guess I will be out of work looking again before I planned.

Where is my Passport???? That is the other thing I will be ransacking my house for tomorrow. I have looked everywhere. I know I put it somewhere 'safe' I just can't remember where that somewhere is!!!

No comments: